Malinda (Martin) Norris,
the first-born child of Joseph and Eliza
(Sleeper) Martin, was born in Bedford Township, Meigs County, Ohio,
probably on 9 April 1833.1
Malinda’s father died when she was 4, after which she, her
mother, and her two siblings moved in with her mother’s
parents, John and Elizabeth Sleeper (also in Bedford Township).
On 8 April 1851, Malinda married Cornelius Norris in Meigs
County. He had been born 27 November 1827 in Athens
County, Ohio, the son of Aaron and Mary (Beck) Norris.
Cornelius and Malinda remained in Meigs County (Bedford
Township) until at least 1878, and all their children were born
there. By 1880, they had moved across the Ohio River to
Jackson County, West Virginia, where they remained the rest of
Malinda passed away in Jackson County on 27 February 1899 and
is buried in Long Hollow Cemetery. Four
months later, Cornelius married Mrs. Rheuamia (Sinclair)
Sayre. He lived on until 23 May 1907 and is buried at Otterbein Church Cemetery.
His tombstone there includes the name of his second wife,
Rheuamia, but shows no death date for her. Most likely,
Rheuamia is not there, for she married John H. Board in December
Malinda and Cornelius were the parents of 11 (or possibly 12)2
children. The ones we know of are:
- Mary Norris, 1852–1878 (never married).
- Cinderella Norris, 1853–1893 (married William Martin
- Malinda Norris, 1854–1938 (married Samuel Gibson Lathey).
- Louisa Norris, 1856–1937 (married Jeremiah Reeves).
- Abram Norris, 1857–1935 (married Sarah A. Matlack).
- Floyd Norris, 1859–1936 (married Geneva H. Boyle).
- Cornelius Elmer Norris, Jr., 1861–1944 (married Elizabeth
- Sinah V. Norris, 1865–1913 (married Leonard S. Hitchcock).3
- Cansada(?) Norris, 1867–1883 (never married).
- Riley M. Norris, 1869–1936 (marital status unknown).
- Viva A. Norris, 1872–1950 (married James Boyd Woodall).
If you can suggest any
corrections to the information above or provide any further
details about the lives of Malinda, Cornelius, and their
descendants, please contact me at the address shown in the image
to Joseph Martin bio page.
Return to John Martin Family home
- According to Malinda’s tombstone, she was 66 years,
10 months, and 18 days old when she died on 27 February 1899.
That works out to a birth date of 9 April 1832.
However, in every census from 1850 through 1880, her stated
age suggests that she was born in 1833. Had she been born late
in the year, a date of 1832 would be consistent with her
stated ages in the censuses, but inasmuch as the “10 month”
figure on her tombstone suggests a birth date in April, my
hunch is that whoever calculated the age on that stone did the
math wrong and accidentally added a year to her age.
- The obituary of C. E. Norris, Jr., posted on his Find-a-Grave site, states that “He
was one of 12 children.” I have been able to identify only the
11 listed here.
- Sinah’s first name is erroneously shown as “Nina” on her tombstone.